A Government-funded flood defence scheme has not yet started despite money being awarded two years ago, an MP has complained.Westmorland and Lonsdale MP Tim Farron said “immediate action” should be taken along the River Kent in Cumbria.The county was hit hard by Storm Desmond floods in 2015. Heavy rain caused further flooding on Tuesday.The government said some defences had been completed and it was still consulting with communities on others.”Since 2010 we have invested almost £42m to protect against flood damage in Cumbria and we will invest another £53m by 2021,” a spokesman for the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said. Schemes in Appleby, Keswick, Ulverston and Threlkeld had been completed and £1m spent on existing defences, he said.
Liberal Democrat Mr Farron said the government had agreed to a bid for £25m for flood relief schemes along the River Kent and its tributaries.”Two years on and not a single piece of engineering work has taken place,” he said.”There needs to be much greater urgency to deliver flood defences for the reassurance of local residents, businesses, farmers and visitors.”The floods on Tuesday were a “timely reminder that an incident like Storm Desmond or worse could hit our community at any time”, Mr Farron added.Defra said it was “working with communities to select the preferred options” in the area by the River Kent.Cumbria Community Foundation is encouraging people to apply for financial assistance after the flooding earlier in the week .The Cumbria Disaster Fund was set up following the floods in December 2015.
Source: BBC Cumbria